Football
Everton Set to Offer Michael Keane Another One-Year Extension Amid John Stones Pursuit

Everton v Arsenal - Premier League by Matt McNulty | Getty Images
Everton are set to offer Michael Keane another one-year contract extension despite their pursuit of John Stones, SportsBoom can exclusively reveal.
The 33-year-old penned a one-year extension last year and sources close to the situation have told us that the club are exploring the option of offering him another short-term deal.
David Moyes views Keane’s experience as invaluable to his squad and is loathe to lose him this summer.
Signing a new deal would extend Keane’s stay on the blue side of Mersey to a decade.
Everton chiefs are heavily interested in a John Stones return to the club, a decade on from selling him to Manchester City for £47.5million.
But his injury record in recent years has made Moyes wary and that is one of the reasons, coupled with Keane's experience and form, why he is keen to keep the defender at the Hill Dickinson Stadium.
It is understood the player would like to remain at the club beyond the end of this season.
Last summer, Wolves, Leeds United, and Burnley were all reportedly interested in Keane, but Moyes opted to keep faith in him as a squad player, yet following Jarrad Branthwaite's injury, he has once again become a key figure in Everton’s defence.
Club Legend
Keane signed from Burnley for £25million in 2017 and was joined by former Clarets’ team-mate James Tarkowski at the heart of the Toffees’ defence five years later.
He has gone on to make over 200 league appearances for the club, scoring 19 times, with three of those goals coming this season.
The centre-back came through the ranks at Manchester United and made a solitary league appearance at the club as well as playing four League Cup games.
Like many United youngsters, he made his mark out on loan, at Leicester City, Derby County and Blackburn Rovers before signing for Burnley in 2014.
He helped the club win the Championship during his second season and impressed in the top flight the following campaign, missing just one game before being snapped up by Everton.
When he signed his deal last year, Keane said: “The manager wants a competitive squad and I still feel I have a lot to give.”
And boss Moyes said: “We will need his experience and professionalism as we go forward.”
Related Resources to Football Transfers & Rumours
- Bournemouth Target Fulham’s Ryan Sessegnon in Summer Defensive Shake-Up
- Real Madrid's Gonzalo García Set for Premier League Loan with Arsenal and Newcastle Circling
- Palmeiras Star José Manuel López Attracting Interest from Everton and Brentford
- Chris Waddle in the Frame for Manager Role at One of Football’s Most Historic Clubs
- Bristol City Weigh Up Russell Martin as Next Manager Post-Hodgson Interim Spell
- Stoke City Lead Chase for Turkish Starlet Berkay Yılmaz After Standout Bundesliga 2 Season
- Rangers Line Up Cut-Price Deal for Sheffield Wednesday Prospect Pierce Charles
- AC Milan, Everton & Villarreal Poised for Summer Battle Over Crystal Palace’s Ismaïla Sarr
- Spurs and Liverpool on Red Alert as Marcos Leonardo Considers Saudi Exit
- Reyes Cleary on Barnsley’s Exit List as Championship Interest Grows
- Brentford Ready to Trigger Rico Henry’s One-Year Extension
- Barrow Keen on Graham Coughlan as Permanent Boss After Sam Foley Interim Spell
- Tottenham, Villa and Newcastle Circle as Leeds Set £30m Pascal Struijk Price Tag
- Crystal Palace Eye Toulouse Midfielder Cristian Cásseres Jr Amid Summer Rebuild
- Crystal Palace in Talks Over Trabzonspor Forward Felipe Augusto
- Brahim Díaz at a Crossroads as Real Madrid Open Door to €45m Exit
- Grimsby Holding Internal Talks Over Permanent Andy Cook Move
- Newcastle Linked with Napoli's Alessandro Buongiorno as Sven Botman Replacement
- Roberto Firmino Could Return to Premier League with Fulham Move
- Atlético Madrid Working on Cristian Romero Deal as Spurs Exodus Looms
You might also be interested in
- Team Total Goals Betting Explained: Expert Strategy, Data & Real Examples (2026)
- What is Second Half Goals Betting Explained: How it Works
- How First Half Goals Betting Works
- What is Half-Time/Full-Time Betting?
- Correct Score Betting Explained
- Asian Handicap Betting Explained
- Last Goalscorer Betting Explained
- What is Anytime Goalscorer Betting Explained: The Complete Playbook 2026
- Win to Nil Betting Explained
- BTTS Betting Explained: A Pro's Guide to Markets & Strategy

Shane is a seasoned sports journalist and one of the most recognisable voices in the snooker pressroom. From Ronnie O’Sullivan to Zhao Xintong, he has sat down with the sport’s biggest names and broken hundreds of front-page national stories.
Alongside his work for SportsBoom, Shane regularly freelances for national outlets including the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, and Daily Star.
While cricket is Shane’s true passion, particularly Test cricket, he keeps it largely separate from his professional work. But don’t expect him to be sold on The Hundred as the future of the game.