Football
Exclusive: Charlie Taylor Allowed to Leave Southampton as Championship Trio Circles
Experienced left-back Charlie Taylor has been told he can leave Southampton, with several Championship sides expressing interest. Taylor has struggled to secure game time since joining the Saints last summer, after a successful stint at Burnley. Middlesbrough, Norwich, and Hull City are among the clubs looking to sign him.

Crystal Palace FC v Southampton FC - Premier League by Matt Watson | Getty Images
Charlie Taylor has been told he can leave Southampton, SportsBoom can exclusively reveal.
The experienced left-back has fallen out of favour at the Saints and has made just three appearances for the club this year.
With transfer rumours heating up, fans often turn to the odds to see where players might land next. If you’re following the latest moves, you can grab a free signup bonus to back your predictions today.
A number of Championship sides are interested in securing the 31-year-old’s signature this summer.
Our sources understand Norwich were eager to sign the player earlier in the window, whilst Hull City explored the option of a permanent swoop for the defender they wanted on loan in January.
Middlesbrough are also reportedly interested in landing the player, with Rob Edwards understood to be after a left-sided defender before the window slams shut.
Desperate for Game Time
Taylor has failed to make the grade since making the move to St Mary’s last summer.
The player ended a seven-year stint at Burnley after the club were relegated two seasons ago.
Taylor declined a new contract at the club and instead moved to the Saints ahead of their Premier League return.
But his time on the south coast has not worked out as he imagined and Taylor has struggled to force his way into the reckoning.
It is understood the club would be willing to terminate his contract if he finds a willing suitor.
He made just three league starts for the club last term and is understood to be desperate to a return up north.
The plane came through the ranks at Leeds United and after loan spells at Bradford City, York City, Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Fleetwood Town forced his way into the first team in 2015 and was their Player of the Year in the 2015/16 campaign.
He signed a four-year deal with Burnley in 2017 and went on to make over 200 appearances for the club, where he played a part in their Championship title-winning season in 2022/23.
Editor's Insight
The fact that three Championship clubs are all chasing Taylor presents a hedging opportunity - Boro, Norwich and Hull are all in the mix, none more likely than the others. Such a three-way market is ideal for hedging transfer bets with a free bet on a player's next club.
Related Resources to Football Transfers & Rumours
- Exclusive: Barrow Set to Renew Interest in Bradford City Striker Tyler Smith Amid Injury Crisis
- Exclusive: Jon Mellish Set for Homecoming? Carlisle Weigh Up Former Star’s Return
- Exclusive: Sheffield United Hold Talks as Southampton and Wrexham Join Ben Mee Chase
- Exclusive: Blackpool Closing in on Former Millwall Striker Duncan Watmore
- Exclusive: Southampton Striker Ben Brereton-Diaz in Demand Among Promotion-Chasing Clubs
- Exclusive: Sheffield Wednesday and Bradford Express Interest in Former Huddersfield Captain Jonathan Hogg
- Exclusive: Doncaster Join Derby and Aberdeen in Race for Former Rangers Forward Kemar Roofe
- Exclusive: Huddersfield and Rotherham Consider Move for Free Agent Adam Reach
- Exclusive: Former Millwall Skipper Shaun Hutchinson Wanted by AFC Wimbledon and Lincoln City
- Exclusive: Sheffield Wednesday Set to Offer Ex-Norwich Winger Onel Hernández Permanent Deal
- Exclusive: Wycombe, Burton, and St Mirren in Race to Sign Free Agent Chuks Aneke
- Exclusive: Everton Step Up Pursuit of Free Agent Josh Brownhill Amid West Ham Interest
- Exclusive: Watford Join Race for Former Newcastle Midfielder Isaac Hayden as QPR Lead Chase
- Exclusive: Bristol City Determined to Secure New Deal for Defensive Star Zak Vyner
- Exclusive: Calvin Ramsay Poised for Liverpool Exit with Scotland Switch on the Cards
- Exclusive: Portsmouth’s Matt Ritchie Holding Out for Championship Move Despite Reading Interest
- Exclusive: Blackburn Poised to Let French Prospect Exaucé Mafoumbi Go to Free Up ESC Slot
- Exclusive: Michail Antonio Open to Championship Move to Boost World Cup 2026 Hopes
- Exclusive: West Ham Price Demands Leave Celtic Set to Miss Out on Andy Irving
- Exclusive: Wolves Back Off as Rangers Demand £25m for Midfield Star Nico Raskin
You might also be interested in
- Team Total Goals Betting Explained: Expert Strategy, Data & Real Examples (2026)
- What is Second Half Goals Betting Explained: How it Works
- How First Half Goals Betting Works
- What is Half-Time/Full-Time Betting?
- Correct Score Betting Explained
- Asian Handicap Betting Explained
- Last Goalscorer Betting Explained
- What is Anytime Goalscorer Betting Explained: The Complete Playbook 2026
- Win to Nil Betting Explained
- BTTS Betting Explained: A Pro's Guide to Markets & Strategy

Shane is a seasoned sports journalist and one of the most recognisable voices in the snooker pressroom. From Ronnie O’Sullivan to Zhao Xintong, he has sat down with the sport’s biggest names and broken hundreds of front-page national stories.
Alongside his work for SportsBoom, Shane regularly freelances for national outlets including the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, and Daily Star.
While cricket is Shane’s true passion, particularly Test cricket, he keeps it largely separate from his professional work. But don’t expect him to be sold on The Hundred as the future of the game.
